Tips for Inspecting a Used Skid Steer Loader
You’re in the market to buy a used skid steer loader in Edmonton. But which one do you choose? How do you know you’re not being sold a lemon? The following list will give you some inspection tips so you can buy a loader you can count on to get the job done.
Outside the skid steer
- Look for cracks, dents or welds that indicate major damage or a rollover has occurred
- Damage to the underbelly may indicate the skid steer wasn’t well maintained
- Pooled liquids or any other signs of a leak
- Flat or cracked tires or loose lug nuts
- The bucket
- Signs of wear or damage on the leading edge
- Thinning, cracked or broken side edges
- Damage to the bottom of the bucket
- Broken, chipped or missing teeth
- The cab
- Bends in the roll-over protection supports
- Missing or damaged cab windows
If the sale includes skid steer attachments, check each one for signs of wear, damage or welds. If the sale doesn’t involve attachments, the construction equipment rentals at W.R. Scott Equipment in Edmonton are great options for you.
In the hot seat
- Cab interior
- The condition of the steps and grab handles
- The condition of the seat
- If the seat belt fastens correctly and is adjustable
- If all the gauges and lights inside the cab are working
Activate the loader arms and see how they perform as you test out a few different lift cycles. Pay close attention to how fluidly the loader arms move. If you lift the bucket and it dips down on its own, there may be some hydraulic issues.
The skid steer should be able to follow a straight path and turn left and right without stuttering or jerking.
The hour meter
After your inspection, determine if the amount of time displayed on the hour meter matches the level of wear that you see.
After giving the skid steer loader a bit of a test run, go take a closer look at the engine. Check for the following:
- Moisture buildup on the hydraulics
- Signs of leaks or cracked hoses
- Level and condition of the oil
- Condition of the belts
- Condition of the air filter
- Check all fluid levels